- In a large pan over medium heat, heat olive oil and gently saut? the diced onion and bay leaf.
- Add the wild rice and toast for one minute. Add three cups of water, a pinch of salt and a freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat and cook for approximately 35 to 45 minutes, stirring gently on occasion. The rice will be fully cooked when it pops like popcorn and is soft and tender to the bite.
- Remove from heat and add soybeans, almonds, sun-dried cranberries, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Stir gently and keep hot until ready to serve.
- To toast the almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, place in a dry skillet and toast over medium heat until they start to pop and turn lightly brown.
If you’d like to add a bit more flavour, you could add a splash of balsamic vinegar, vincotto, lemon juice or cranberry juice as desired.
Makes 8 to 12 servings.
’Til next time,